Dr. Nick Helbich, PH.D, L.C.S.W.
Licensed Clinical NYC Therapist
The value of creating a safe and secure environment is key to my approach, allowing you to express all your painful and angry feelings. In my work, I am interactive and compassionate. And I take pride in having clients describe me as warm, empathetic and non-judgemental. Many of my patients even tell me that my office environment and the surrounding area in Greenwich Village contribute to putting them at ease before we even talk.
“Dr. Nick helped me to change my feelings and attitudes and to develop healthier more effective pattern of behavior.”– Rosalia A.
My Approach To Treatment Is Integrative and Eclectic
Although we tend to categorize therapies, we can’t do the same with people, as everyone has a completely different set of experiences and problems. And so I draw from a wide variety of treatment methods. My clinical orientation and training is integrative, as it combines Psychodynamic, Interpersonal and Cognitive Behavioral (CBT) perspectives. I am well schooled in Modern Psychoanalysis, Self Psychology, Focusing and Client Centered Therapy and have received extensive training in individual, couples and group psychotherapy. One of the approaches I often use is mindfulness meditation, as the body holds onto past traumas that our minds may not always remember. I will discuss all the treatment options with you and find the one that will work best for you.
I believe that strong therapeutic relationships can create healing and generate the ability to change. Whether you’re suffering from depression, obsessions and compulsions (OCD) eating disorders, addictive disorders, codependency and trauma, or have been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, conduct disorders, post-traumatic stress (PTSD) and various dissociative disorders, as well as relationships (sexual and work related issues), l can help.
Let me provide the calmness, support and insight you need to meet the challenges that are getting in the way of living the life you want to live.
Education and Training:
- Ph.D. in Philosophy from the University of Vienna (Austria)
- Master’s in Clinical Social Work at Touro School of Socialwork, NYC
- Bachelor’s in History from the University of Vienna (Austria)
- Studied six years at the Institute of Modern Psychoanalysis in New York and Boston
- Graduate of the Training and Research Institute for Self Psychology in New York
- My “Guide to Open Relationships” on lighthouse.lgbt
- Lecture “Mindfulness in Psychotherapy” at the PAMA (Performing Artists Medical Association) International Symposium in Snowmass Colorado, July 2017
- Case Presentation at the Training and Research Institute for Self Psychology (TRISP) in New York City in January 2017
- Case Presentation at the The William Alanson White Institute of Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis & Psychology in February 2017
- Case Presentation at the 12th World Association for Person Centered & Experiential Psychotherapy & Counseling conference, held at the CUNY Graduate Center in New York City in July 2016.
- Case Presentation at the Center for Modern Psychoanalytic Studies in New York City in May 2015
- Live case presentation at the EFT Emotional Focused Therapy Training at the Ackermann Institute for the Family Therapist. New York City, January 2019.
- National Association for the Advancement of Psychoanalysis (NAAP)
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- Training and Research Institute for Self Psychology (TRISP)
- LGBTQ Study Group at the Alanson White Psychoanalytical Institute in New York
- International Association for Psychoanalytic Self Psychology (IAPSP)